Showing 259 results

Authority record

Armstrong, Herbert (Herb)

  • HA01
  • Person
  • ? - 1925

Herbert Armstrong married Minnie Rae in 1912. Minnie was born to Allen and Kate Rae on January 17, 1888 in Balmorl, Manitoba. She came to Squamish with her parents in 1889. She worked as a practical nurse for Doctor N.V. Paul.

Herb and D. McCallum owned and operated a store in Squamish. He was also a part owner of the post office which used to be located where the Seven Seas Restaurant later stood.

Minnie and Herb had 6 children: Mabel (Mrs Keith), Gertrude (Mrs Wilson), Margareta (Mrs McLeod), Bob, Jim, and Les. They lived on the corner right of the Spiral Trailer Court in an area known as "Armstrong's Corner".

Herbert Armstrong fell off a roof and died in 1925. Minnie continued to live at "Armstrong's Corner" in the area across from Mamquam School on Government Road. In 1953, she built an "Armstrong Barn".

Minnie died at age 78 on January 5, 1966.

Armstrong, Minnie

  • MA01
  • Person
  • January 17, 1888 - January 5, 1966

Minnie was born to Allen and Kate Rae on Junary 17, 1888 in Balmorl, Manitoba. She came to Squamish with her parents in 1889. She worked as a practical nurse for Doctor N.V. Paul.

She married Herbert Armstrong in 1912. He and D. McCallum owned and operated a store in Squamish. He was also a part owner of the post office which used to be located where the Seven Seas Restaurant later stood.

Minnie and Herb had 6 children: Mabel (Mrs Keith), Gertrude (Mrs Wilson), Margareta (Mrs McLeod), Bob, Jim, and Les. They lived on the corner right of the Spiral Trailer Court in an area known as "Armstrong's Corner".

Herbert Armstrong fell off a roof and died in 1925. Minnie continued to live at "Armstrong's Corner" in the area across from Mamquam School on Government Road. In 1953, she built an "Armstrong Barn".

Minnie died at age 78 on January 5, 1966.

Bailey, H.H. (Harold)

  • HB01
  • Person
  • ~1889 - July 7, 1971

Harold was born in Ashford, Kent, England in 1889 or 1890. He came to Canada in 1912 and worked at the CNR shops in Winnipeg until 1920. From 1920 to 1928, he worked at the CNR shops in New Westminster. In 1928, he came to Squamish to work for PGE. In 1930, he worked for PGE as chief mechanic.

He died at age 81 on July 7, 1971.

Barbour, Allan Newton

  • AB01
  • Person
  • September 3, 1869 - October 26, 1953

Allan Barbour was born in New Brunswick to Robert Barbour and ? Newton, both of Scotland. In the early 1900's, Allan and his brother Charlie came to the coast. He worked in the Fraser Valley for two years before the Barbour brothers came to Squamish in 1907. He homesteaded across from the current railway shops.

In 1915, Allan Barbour married Kathleen Boyle. The first of their four children was born in 1916 (Richard). Later on they had Howard, Kenneth, and Kathleen (Mrs Lacey).

Al Barbour retired in 1935 and he died later that year on October 26 at age 84.

Barbour, Charles

  • CB01
  • Person
  • 18?? - July 1, 1940

Charles Barbour was born in New Brunswick to Robert Barbour and ? Newton (both originally of Scotland). His stepdaughter Beebe Fowles (would be Mrs Ruddock) was born on August 16, 1895. He later married Dora Woodward.

In 1900, he came to the west coast with his brother Allan. They would own logging operations together in Squamish.

His family came to Squamish in 1901. Charlie Woodworth Barbour was born on January 27, 1905. On May 24, 1906, he brought his wife and stepdaughter up the Pemberton trail by horseback (they had come to Squamish on the Defiance). He had bought land from Sylyanus Pettit. It was reported that Dora and Beebe were the first white woman and child to go up that trail.

In 1907, he came to Squamish with his brother Allan to log. On March 26, 1907, Reba Alexandra (would be Mrs Johnson) was born.

Charles Barbour later lived in Vancouver while the Barbour home in Pemberton was used as a stopping house, first by the Bauers, and then by McLauchlan (Charles Barbour's nephew).

In 1913 he returned to Pemberton with his family.

Barbour, Kathleen

  • KB01
  • Person
  • 1889 - January 11, 1974

Kathleen Boyle was born in Waterford, Ireland as a direct descendant of Sir Richard Boyle, the first Earl of Cork whose son, Robert Boyle, became world famous Irish philosopher acclaimed as the "Father of Chemistry".

She arrived in Canada aboard the Virginian (one of the ships called to aid the Titanic). She lived in Vancouver for a short time and then moved to Squamish. In 1915, she met and married Allan Barbour. Together they had 4 children: Ken, Richard, Howard, and Kathleen (Mrs Lacey).

In 1930, Kathleen and her husband moved to Kerrisdale where she served 3 terms as president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 30. They lived near St. Mary's Church.

Her husband died on October 26, 1953 and she died at age 83 on January 11, 1974.

Barnfield, Alfred Pinneger

  • AB02
  • Person
  • October 30, 1866 - September 24, 1960

Alfred was born in Wittshire, England to Edward and Ann (nee Pinnegar) Barnfield.

He was a preemptor on the Lillooet River and was one of nine men to clear, replace bridges, and improve the grade on the 60 mile Squamish-Pemberton trail (April - July 1891).

In 1897, he helped John Currie attempt to drive his animals over the Howe Sound trail. The drive was a great failure. During the summer of 1897, he explored for minerals down Lillooet Lake. In 1897 he went to Blackwater, or Birkenhead to explore for copper.

Alfred came to Squamish prior to 1905. His name ppears in the a Hotel register in 1903, however he states he is from Vancouver and later Green Lake. He later signs himself as coming from Squamish.

On August 1, 1910, he married Daisy Eck Hotchkiss and they went to England on their honeymoon. They lived at Alta Lake and had four children (Charles, Fred, William, and Vera). Their son Charles, born in 1920, died overseas.

In 1924 he moved to Squamish on Wilson Crescent. He had traded land at Alta Lake with the PGE.

Barnfield, Daisy

  • DB01
  • Person
  • May 5, 1891 - June 21, 1980

Daisy was born in London, England to Mr and Mrs Phillip Hotchkiss. They came to Canada in 1897 and lived in Montreal. In October 1905, Daisy came to Squamish with her sister and brother in law, Mr and Mrs H.H. Gaunt. After arriving by boat, they had to ride to Brackendale on top of a ton of potatoes in the pouring rain.

On August 1, 1910, Daisy married Alfred Pinnegar Barnfield and went to England on their honeymoon. They had 4 children: Charles, Fred, William, and Mrs Vera Swann. They lived at Alta Lake.

In 1924 they moved to Wilson Crescent. Her husband died in 1960 and she died at age 89 on June 21, 1980.

Baynes, Edgar George

  • EB01
  • Person
  • 1870 - November 5, 1956

Edgar Baynes was born to Harriet Amelia and George Baynes on Fens Farm in Brocking, Essex England. He had 5 brothers and sisters: Hetty, Kate, Alfred, Jim, and Lila. He and his family moved to Stisted Hall, Essex in 1874 and were educated at Braintree Board School.

Edgar ran away from home in 1883 and joined a firm of builders in 1884. He spent 5 years learning the building trade.

On April 4, 1889, he left for Liverpool on the S.S. Sarnia for Halifax as an apprentice to Mr Joseph Franklin. He arrived in Halifax on the 14th, took a train to Vancouver, and arrived in Vancouver on the 22nd.

On March 7, 1890, he left for Squamish from Vancouver at age 19 with his friends Harry Judd and A.J. (Bert) Crysler and their friend Drummond. They left in a sailboat that Crysler and Judd had made. He pre-empted on an island in the Squamish River, now known as Baynes Island (in the area of an Indian graveyard).

In 1892, Edgar left Squamish to become a carpenter in Vancouver. During his time he placed long firm beams in the Christ Church Cathedral.

In 1893, he established Baynes and Horie Construction Company with William Horie. The office was in the Baynes house at 634 East Georgia. They would build many of the early buildings on Water and Cordova Streets and more schools than any other contractor in the province. His company also got a contract to erect Entrance Island Lighthouse near Nanaimo (paid $2308).

On April 15, 1899, he married Margaret Anderson McAlpine in First Presbyterian Church at Gore and Hastings. She was born at Lindsay, Ontario in 1874 and came to BC in 1889.

In 1901, he took a trip back to England to see his family. His first two children, Doris Lillian (Mrs Ewart Woolliams) and Jean Hetty (Mrs Alan King) were born between 1901 and 1905.

In 1906, Edgar organized and became president of Port Haney Brick Company. His family moved from West Pender to Fairview (1200 West Broadway) to a house he had built. His other children, Ted and Margaret (Mrs Harry Cannon) were born here.

By 1907, Baynes and Will Horie owned Hany Brick Co. which would continue to run for 70 years (the only brick company in BC to do so). They supplied drain tile for the Fraser Valley and partition tile for the larger buildings in the province. It ceased production in July 1977.

Baynes and Horie built the factory building for Canadian Carbonated Co. from 1909 to 1910. In 1913, he built Grosvenor Hotel (840 Howe). He had to take over ownership himself during the depression that preceded World War I. He was the largest shareholder and operated it until his death. His family continued to manage it until 1973 when it was sold to Dutch family interests.

In 1925, he built the Douglas Lodge on Stewart Lake at Fort St. James and operated it for many years.

In 1946, Edgar was involved in a scandal where $28,000 was missing from the books at Grosvenor Hotel. Baynes charged his accountant Frederick Denis Whyte with theft. Whyte accused his employer of ordering him to "fix the books".

He died at age 86 in 1956. Mrs Baynes donated the house at 1200 West Broadway to the YMCA. The gift included 100 feet of land on Broadway and 125 feet on Alder. The YCMA bought an additional 50 feet on Broadway in 1968 for $28,000. This was used as a home for teenage girls and a cooperative for single parents. It was also Vancouver's first Indian center (1963), a day center housing Dutch immigrant families, and as a temporary main YWCA headquarter. The terms of the gift was that the YWCA had to keep the house for 20 years. It was used. In 1977 the house sold for $650,000. The money was used to help finance YWCA programs.

Mrs Baynes died in 1967. She had been living in the Arbutus Private Hosital.

Results 1 to 25 of 259