Showing 259 results

Authority record

Robertson, A.

  • AR01
  • Person

Mr and Mrs Robertson were the first white settlers in the Squamish Valley. They came from Manitoba to homestead on the banks of the Mamquam River. The area where they lived is in the current location of the industrial park.

In February 1889, their daughter Catherine and her husband Allen Rae came to Squamish. They had another daughter, Minerva, who would often visit her sister in Squamish.

Reade, Compton

  • CR01
  • Person

Compton graduated from Oxford. He joined the crew of an English sailing ship and deserted the ship.

He came to Squamish around 1892. He married and lived on pre-emption in Upper Squamish. He took part in the Klondike Gold Rush around 1897.

Rae, Wilfred (Whiff)

  • WR01
  • Person
  • 1891 - October 29, 1968

Wilfred was born in Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He married and spent most of his life in the Cariboo.

Wilfred died in Squamish at age 77 on October 29, 1968.

Rae, Thomas Edgar

  • TR01
  • Person
  • March 8, 1889 - March 26, 1963

Thomas Edgar was born on March 8, 1889 to Kate and Allen Rae as the first while child born in the Squamish Valley.

He married Christie Belle and had three children: Allan, Catherine (Mrs Freemento), and Marjorie (Mrs Trojer).

Thomas worked for the PGE. He also operated dairy and built houses in Squamish.

His wife Christie died on October 6, 1937. He was remarried to Edith Jones. Thomas died at age 73 on March 26, 1963. Edith died on day after Edgar.

Judd, Henry (Harry)

  • HJ01
  • Person
  • March 25, 1870 - February 3, 1952

Henry Judd was born to Thomas (of England) and Nancy (of Ontario), nee Reed. He came to Vancouver from Ontario by rail in 1889 and stayed with cousin Ozzie Wood. He wanted to farm and almost went to Bonapart Rally but his cousin was interested in Squamish.

On November 12, 1889, Henry started for Squamish on the S.S. Saturna with Bown, Simpson, Sutherland, Crawford, Creelman, and his cousin Wood. He was 19 years old at the time. He reached hsi claim on the mouth of the Squamish River on November 14, 1889. With his partners Creelman and Wood, he built a lean-to. The others had given up before reaching their claim. The area he pre-empted was later occupied by the Brennans. He had originally drawn a lot at the mouth of the Cheakamus River but did not like it. Judd, Creland, and Wood moved into a crude 10' x 12' log house that they built on November 22, 1889.

On December 20, 1889, he started out for Vancouver. The Indians were supposed to take them dwon the river but they were a week late; by this time Judd had already built a dug-out canoe. He stayed with his aunt in Vancouver that winter.

In 1890 he returned to Ontario to convince his parents to come to Squamish. This was the only time he ever returned to Ontario. Judd, his cousin A.H. (Bert) Crysler, H. Drummond, and E.G. Baynes started out for Squamish in a boat Judd and Crysler had built.

On May 3, 1890, Judd completed building a house on the property that would later be belong to the Brennans. Judd was joined by his parents, Mr and Mrs Thomas Judd, his sister Rilla, and his brother Wilby in 1892. By this time Harry had built an addition onto his home for them. On December 5, 1894 all the settlers turned out to help Judd raise his new log house which was 18' x 24' and a storey and a half high. Judd's parents, brother, and sister would remain in the houseon the Brennan property.

Henry Judd was engaged to Barbara Anne Edwards soonafter meeting her at a party at Mr Mashiter's. H.J. Edwards, Barbara Anne's brother brought up lumber for Harry Judd's new home (the current Farquharson place on Judd Road). On December 26, 1894, Henry Judd married Barbara Anne Edwards in Vancouver. The Bridesmaid was the bride's sister Mrs T.K. Bogart. They returned to Squamish the next day.

Olive, the first of 8 girls was born on September 27, 1895. Henry and Barbara Anne had 10 children in total: William Henry on March 1, 1897; Earl Thomas on March 6, 1898; Edith in 1900; Gertrude Ruth on April 21, 1902; Jessie on November 23, 1903; Myrtle in 1906; twins Jane and Clara on October 5, 1909; and Dorothy on April 7, 1913.

The Judd home was enlarged between 1909 and 1910. It burned down in January 1916 and was later rebuilt. It is now the home of his daughter Dorothy and her husband Mr R.E. Farquharson.

Henry's father, Thomas Judd died of a prostate problem in 1910. Henry Judd died at age 82 on February 3, 1952. Mrs Henry Judd died in Lynn Valley on December 16, 1968 at age 94.

Rae, Robert Stewart (Bert)

  • RR01
  • Person
  • 1893 - April 14, 1978

Bert was born in 1893 to Allen and Kate Rae.

In 1913, he worked as a faller for Laviolette, McIntyre, and Levesque ("The French Boys"). In 1926, he was a hooktender at Craig and Taylor logging operation in Cheekye. He was also a trapper on Round Mountain.

Robert married Jessie Judd on December 27, 1927. They had three children: Stewart James (Jimmy) on June 5, 1929; Catherine Anne (Anne, to be Mrs D.W. Davison) on September 15, 1933;, and Harry Stewart on January 27, 1935.

Bert worked at Woodfibre. Jane started working at Woodfibre as well in December 1943. Bert left his work at Woodfibre in 1950.

Bert got in a car accident at the entrance to Squamish in 1977. He died of complications from the car accident at age 86 on April 14, 1978. Harry died in 1981.

Rae, Retta

  • RR01
  • Person
  • 188? - ~1910

Retta Rae was born prior to 1889 to Allen and Kate Rae. She came to Squamish with her parents in February 1889. She died in her early 20's due to complications of a broken hip.

Magee, Fred Osborne

  • FM01
  • Person
  • March 29, 1876 - November 1, 1960

Fred Magee was born in Point Grey, BC to Hugh (originally from Ireland) and Isabella (nee Crawford, formerly of Scotland). He came to Squamish in 1895 where his brother George was living. He married Ione Smith (born in 1886) and together they had 5 sons (Fred, Cameron, Leslie, David, and Robert) and 4 daughters (Ione Matheson, Edith Magee, Irene Tite, and Hilda Dublack).

From 1900 to 1910 he owned a second house on Main Street. He had a dairy farm where Weldwood Sawmill is now located.

In November 1904 he packed equipment from Squamish to the fish hatchery at Owl Creek. He later herded cattle to railway construction camps from Squamish to Pemberton.

Fred died and was bured in Squamish on November 1, 1960. Ione Maee died at age 87 on October 4, 1974.

Thorne, Fred Clayton

  • FT01
  • Person
  • March 11 1862 - June 12, 1948

Fred was born in Hillies, Prince Edward Ontario in 1862 to Sam Thorn and ? Chamberlain (mother). He was the descendent of the United Empire Loyalists who left the U.S.A. after the War of Independence.

In 1881 he filed a homestead in Manitoba. He later returned to his home town and married Cora Emma Terry. In April 1894, He came to Squamish to become manager of clearing and building operations at the Squamish Valley Hope Company.

He and Cora had five children, in order of age: Clifford, Edna, Ella, Doris, and Harold.

In 1914 he started raising short horn cattle at the Squamish Valley Hop Company Ranch. Due to prohibition in the 1920's, hop farming stopped and he rented the farm from its owners and farmed for 10 years.

His wife Cora died in 1946. He then lived with his son until his death at 7:15pm on Saturday 12, 1948.

Rae, Oswald (Ozzie)

  • OR01
  • Person
  • 188? - ~1920

Oswald was born prior to 1888 as the oldest child of Allen and Kate Rae. He came to Squamish with his parents in February 1889.

Oswald married Doris Thorne around 1916. They had 4 children: Marjorie, Catherine, Irene (died) and Allan. He died in his early 30's.

Rae, Jimmie

  • JR01
  • Person
  • ~1902 - 1981

Jimmie was born the youngest of 10 Rae children. He married Grace Braiathwaite and he died in 1981.

Rae, Maurice

  • MR01
  • Person
  • 1896 - October 18, 1951

Maurice was born to Allen and Kate Rae. He fought in World War I in 1918. He later worked for a transfer unit, on the culvert gang at the PGE, and as a gas mechanic for PGE.

Maurice married Hilda Magee in 1940. They had oen child, Margaretta Rae.

It was rumoured that when he drove a taxi in Squamish, he didn't have a driver's license. Maurice lived in Squamish his whole life.

Rae, Herbert Lawson

  • LR01
  • Person
  • June 15, 1894 - December 17, 1958

Herbert Lawson was born in the North Yards area of Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He was a student in the first school. Around 1819, he joined the army and was assigned to Siberia. He later married Clara Lillian Nicholls, a teacher and the neice of Emily Carr. Clara was born on March 7, 1891 in England to Richard Nicholls and Clara Carr. They would have 6 children. The five that were alive in 1983 were Louise Riis, Herbert, Donny, David, and Betty Lorenz.

In the 1920's, Lawson was Government Road foreman when the road to Britannia was built. At one time he was Public Works Foreman. He was also a Dairy Farmer.

When Lawson died in December 1958, he had the only farm in active use in the Squamish Valley. His wife Clara died in 1976

Paddy, George

  • GP01
  • Person

George arrived in Squamish Valley around 1894. He married William Mashiter's niece, Thursa.

In 1907, Howe Sound Pemberton Valley Northern Railway bought his 42 acre island.

Neil, James Mathew

  • JN01
  • Person
  • September 4, 1873 - December 6, 1953

James Neil was born in Ontario. His father was Mathew Neil.

In 1900, he married Jean Matheson. Before coming to Squamish in 1907, he worked for many logging companies. In Squamish, he worked as a donkey "puncher".

He had a son named James Douglas.

In 1914, he logged with Earl Judd. Together they hauled a steam donkey on the Squamish River (2 miles above Pemberton).

He died at age 80 on December 6, 1953.

Mills, Hugh Henry

  • HM01
  • Person
  • 1886 - November 23, 1951

Hugh came to Squamish in 1891 to build barns for George Magee. He also built the Newport Hotel and several other houses.

He married Catherine (Kate) Rae in 1912 after her husband died. He built a house on the 1984 site of Norm Halvorson's land.

He died at age 85 on November 23, 1951.

The Newport Hotel burned down in 1956. It would later be replaced by the current Chieftain Hotel.

Mashiter, William

  • WM01
  • Person
  • June 1, 1850 - January 11, 1938

William Mashiter was born in Woodford County, Cheshire, England and brought up as a farmer. His father was the first Vicar of Woodford.

He left England in May 1870. in 1874 he arrived in Victoria after first travelling to California. He worked in canneries along the Skeena River and took part in the Cassiar Gold Rush. He came to Vancouver via the Lillooet-Squamish tarail and canoed down Howe Sound. He also operated a logging camp on the Fraser River for one and a half years.

William arrived in Granville (now Gastown) in November 1884. He opened a general store in Granville on Water Street. The store burned in the "great fire" on June 13, 1886. By June 16, 1886, he had already rebuilt the store.

Between 1889 to 1890, he rode a sleigh on Marine Drive. He was one of teh two survivors when a tree fell on the sleigh. Four people died.

In 1890, William came up to Squamish and took over the Magee farm. In 1891 he built a store and post office at the foot of Winnipeg Street (present site of the Shell Bulk Plant). It was the only store until 1905. The store had a small dock, "Mashiter's Landing" that was serviced twice weekly by the S.S. Defiance and Saturna. He was the post master until 1903.

William also ran a boat service across the channel to where the Pentecostal Church now stands.

He married Elizabeth Atkinson (from Cumberland, England) in Vancouver on May 21, 1894. In 1902, he sold his business to David Galbraith and went to England for the summer with his wife. During his absence, William Brohm built "Mashiter House". It was a landmark until it was torn down in 1964 to clear the way for Overwaitea (later the location of Fields).

In 1909, school was held in the Mashiter's old store house. In 1915 he donated land and grounds for the first proper school in Squamish (Mashiter School). He remained an official of the School Board for several years.

In September 1925, Mrs Mashiter died at age 78 and was buried in Brackendale. She had been the first president of the Ladies Guild for the Anglican Church.

In the 1930's, he lost most of his property to taxes in the depression. He continued to farm hay until his death.

Memorials: Mashiter Creek, Mashiter School, altar windows and brass plaque in St. John's (memorial to Mrs Mashiter), and a Carved Oak Lecturn (memorial to Mr Mashiter).

Judd, William Henry

  • WJ01
  • Person
  • March 1, 1897 - January 1919

William Henry was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

William Henry joined the army around 1917 after the fire at the Judd house. He was later discharged from the army. After he came home he got the Asian flu. He was sick for one week and died in January 1919.

Webster, Olive

  • OJ01
  • Person
  • September 27, 1895 - April 8, 1964

Born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

Olive married William Webster in 1925. He was a baker and then worked in a dairy. He later lived on a soldier's pension after being wounded in World War I. He had been a member of the 72nd Highlanders.

Olive and William and two children: Thomas and Barbara Langstaff.

William died around 1950. Olive died at age 68 on April 8, 1964.

Herndl, Myrtle

  • MJ01
  • Person
  • August 7, 1906 -

Born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

Myrtle married Mr Hendl. Their son Wilfred was born around 1928.

She lived at Edith Lake.

Judd, Earl Thomas

  • EJ01
  • Person
  • March 6, 1898 - June 1, 1969

Earl Thomas was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd in Vancouver. When he was 6 weeks gold, he got bronchial pneumonia (April 1898). He was so ill that his parents brought him to Vancouver in a Dug-out canoe on a stormy night.

In 1913 he hauled a steam donkey on the Squamish River 2 miles above the Cheekye with Jimmy Neil.

He married Gweyneth Grey Griffith (born in Clysach, Wales on June 11, 1900 to John Phillip and Gertrude Maude Grey). They had two children: Gwenyth E. (Mrs Bruce Kingham) and Phillip H. (wife named Betty).

Earl Thomas cut wood for the steam donkey used by Stoltz Logging from 1937 to 1940.

His died in Squamish at age 61 on March 23, 1962. He died at age 71 on June 1, 1969.

Farquharson, Dorothy

  • DF01
  • Person
  • April 7, 1913 -

Dorothy was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwarsd) Judd on April 7, 1913. She was married Rob E. Farquharson and they lived in the old Judd home on Judd Road. She gave birth to her daughter Ellen (Mrs Grant) in 1940 and son Graeme in 1944.

Holland, W.A.

  • WH01
  • Person

W.A. Holland came to Squamish in 1910. He built a poolroom over McKinnon's restaurant. He also built the King George Hotel (which later became the Squamish Hotel). He sold the King George Hotel in 1912.

Herres, Peter

  • PH01
  • Person

Note: Herres is often misspelt as "Harris" or "Harries"

Peter had a brother named Matt. He came to the Squamish Valley in 1900. He lived in Upper Squamish on the Pilchuck River. He had 5 children, in order of age: Lizzie (Mrs Bill Turcotte), Mary, Belle, Ethel, and Jean. He later moved to Brackendale to farm in an area of Easter Seal Camp so that his children could go to school.

Lizzie died in 1926.

Harris Creek (now known as Meagre Creek) was named after him as a memorial.

Galbraith, David

  • Person
  • March 16, 1861

David Galbraith was born in St. Mary's, Ontario (1858). He married Laurie Green (born in 1868) and arrived in Gastown on December 1884. Their first daughter Doris was born in Agassiz on September 5, 1895. In 1896 they moved to Harrison River. He built a store and boarding house.

His second daughter, Jean, was born at Harrison Mills in 1897. In 1901 he sold the store and boarding house to Mr Kilby.

In 1902, he came to Squamish to build the first hotel. He bought a store from Mashiter. The family arrived in Squamish in 1906. That year he also built the Cheakamus House, a hunter's lodge by the Cheakumus River (across from the present location of Fergie's), with Dutch Charlie ("Cheakamus Charlie") who operated it. His third daughter, Isobel (Widge) was born in this hotel (she would be Mrs Stan Blake). The Cheakamus House was destroyed by a flood in 1940.

In 1912, he built a store called Squamish Interiors (north of Shell Station) that would later be the Adams & Adams store.

Doris married Frank Buckley on October 11, 1914. They were the first couple married in a church in Squamish.

Mrs Galbraith died in March 1944. There was a memorial of Brass Vases and Collection Plate in the Anglican Church.

Jean (Mrs Angus McRae) won the Good Citizenship Medal in 1950 for her work as a nurse. The same year the Galbraith Hotel was sold to Empire Mills for $14,000 and used as a bunkhouse. The hotel was used to film the movie "Presbyterian Church Wager". In the early 1970's, the hotel was used to film the movie "McCade and Mrs Miller". It was demolished in 1973.

David died at age 89 on February 26, 1951. Jean's husband died in 1964. Jean Galbraith McRae died in Burnaby on January 25, 1976. Doris Galbraith Buckley died on January 7, 1978.

Results 126 to 150 of 259