Showing 259 resultsAuthority record
- April 1872 - March 5, 1949
Charles was born in Austria but emigrated from Italy. He married Alice Claire Smith, daughter of railway roadmaster Hugh Smith in Massachusetts on August 24, 1904.
Charles Midnight Jr was born in 1907. He would become an engineer on the railway. Charles Midnight Senior had 14 children in total, including Hazel Armstrong.
Charles came to Squamish around 1919 and lived in both Squamish and Cheakamus. He became a section foreman of the PGE in Cheakamus. He changed his surname to Midnight (possibly from Menzanotte).
He died at 77 years of age on March 5, 1949. Mrs A. Midnight died at age 85 on June 25, 1971.
Compton graduated from Oxford. He joined the crew of an English sailing ship and deserted the ship.
He came to Squamish around 1892. He married and lived on pre-emption in Upper Squamish. He took part in the Klondike Gold Rush around 1897.
- ? - January 22, 1956
Charles Sherman Schoonover was born in Austinburg, Pennsylvannia. In 1897 he married Elvira Bump and they homesteaded in North Dokota. They had two daughters, Mary and Mildred (born Jan 3, 1902).
In October 1905 the Schoonovers pre-empted in Upper Squamish (opposite the BC Hydro power house) on 156 acres. They lived in a tiny cabin while their daughter Mary remained with their grandparents in Pennsylvannia. They had son named Robert in 1905 who was delivered by an Indian woman in Squamish.
Charles worked for shingle bolt camps and was a skillful canoeist, hunter, and fisherman. In 1908 the family moved to Brackendale. Charles bought oxen to help clear his land. Charles' daughter Mary moved to Squamish in 1914 and later became Mrs Bruce Wright.
In 1932, he and Elvira moved to a log cabin he had built north of the Brackendale Store. Charles developed a serious heart ailment in his later years and died at age 76.
- Corporate body
A photography studio in Squamish
- May 5, 1891 - June 21, 1980
Daisy was born in London, England to Mr and Mrs Phillip Hotchkiss. They came to Canada in 1897 and lived in Montreal. In October 1905, Daisy came to Squamish with her sister and brother in law, Mr and Mrs H.H. Gaunt. After arriving by boat, they had to ride to Brackendale on top of a ton of potatoes in the pouring rain.
On August 1, 1910, Daisy married Alfred Pinnegar Barnfield and went to England on their honeymoon. They had 4 children: Charles, Fred, William, and Mrs Vera Swann. They lived at Alta Lake.
In 1924 they moved to Wilson Crescent. Her husband died in 1960 and she died at age 89 on June 21, 1980.
- - January 7, 1978
Doris Galbraith married Frank Buckley on October 11, 1914. They were the first couple married in Squamish. The ceremony was conducted by Reverend Hoyle in St. John the Divine Church (Anglican). The bridesmaid was Mrs J. Hellinger. Their first son David Franklin was born on October 24, 1915. They lived in a house in the later location of the Overwaitea.
Frank started to work for the PGE in 1916 and quickly worked his way to locomotive engineer. He was the third locomotive engineer to work for the PGE.
Their son Brian Buckley was born in Vancouver on October 20, 1930. Doris and Frank had a third son, Kenneth (Mike). David Franklin (first son) died in Squamish on August 30, 1932.
The Buckley's moved to a home near Buckley's crossing in 1938. His son Kenneth died in World War II.
Frank retired from the railway after 35 years in 1949. His son Brian married May Franson in 1950. His son's wife, May, died on August 18, 1977. Doris died on January 7, 1978.
Married to Dennis DeBeck and had daughters Wilma and Barbara (youngest).
- April 7, 1913 -
Dorothy was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwarsd) Judd on April 7, 1913. She was married Rob E. Farquharson and they lived in the old Judd home on Judd Road. She gave birth to her daughter Ellen (Mrs Grant) in 1940 and son Graeme in 1944.
- 1870 - November 5, 1956
Edgar Baynes was born to Harriet Amelia and George Baynes on Fens Farm in Brocking, Essex England. He had 5 brothers and sisters: Hetty, Kate, Alfred, Jim, and Lila. He and his family moved to Stisted Hall, Essex in 1874 and were educated at Braintree Board School.
Edgar ran away from home in 1883 and joined a firm of builders in 1884. He spent 5 years learning the building trade.
On April 4, 1889, he left for Liverpool on the S.S. Sarnia for Halifax as an apprentice to Mr Joseph Franklin. He arrived in Halifax on the 14th, took a train to Vancouver, and arrived in Vancouver on the 22nd.
On March 7, 1890, he left for Squamish from Vancouver at age 19 with his friends Harry Judd and A.J. (Bert) Crysler and their friend Drummond. They left in a sailboat that Crysler and Judd had made. He pre-empted on an island in the Squamish River, now known as Baynes Island (in the area of an Indian graveyard).
In 1892, Edgar left Squamish to become a carpenter in Vancouver. During his time he placed long firm beams in the Christ Church Cathedral.
In 1893, he established Baynes and Horie Construction Company with William Horie. The office was in the Baynes house at 634 East Georgia. They would build many of the early buildings on Water and Cordova Streets and more schools than any other contractor in the province. His company also got a contract to erect Entrance Island Lighthouse near Nanaimo (paid $2308).
On April 15, 1899, he married Margaret Anderson McAlpine in First Presbyterian Church at Gore and Hastings. She was born at Lindsay, Ontario in 1874 and came to BC in 1889.
In 1901, he took a trip back to England to see his family. His first two children, Doris Lillian (Mrs Ewart Woolliams) and Jean Hetty (Mrs Alan King) were born between 1901 and 1905.
In 1906, Edgar organized and became president of Port Haney Brick Company. His family moved from West Pender to Fairview (1200 West Broadway) to a house he had built. His other children, Ted and Margaret (Mrs Harry Cannon) were born here.
By 1907, Baynes and Will Horie owned Hany Brick Co. which would continue to run for 70 years (the only brick company in BC to do so). They supplied drain tile for the Fraser Valley and partition tile for the larger buildings in the province. It ceased production in July 1977.
Baynes and Horie built the factory building for Canadian Carbonated Co. from 1909 to 1910. In 1913, he built Grosvenor Hotel (840 Howe). He had to take over ownership himself during the depression that preceded World War I. He was the largest shareholder and operated it until his death. His family continued to manage it until 1973 when it was sold to Dutch family interests.
In 1925, he built the Douglas Lodge on Stewart Lake at Fort St. James and operated it for many years.
In 1946, Edgar was involved in a scandal where $28,000 was missing from the books at Grosvenor Hotel. Baynes charged his accountant Frederick Denis Whyte with theft. Whyte accused his employer of ordering him to "fix the books".
He died at age 86 in 1956. Mrs Baynes donated the house at 1200 West Broadway to the YMCA. The gift included 100 feet of land on Broadway and 125 feet on Alder. The YCMA bought an additional 50 feet on Broadway in 1968 for $28,000. This was used as a home for teenage girls and a cooperative for single parents. It was also Vancouver's first Indian center (1963), a day center housing Dutch immigrant families, and as a temporary main YWCA headquarter. The terms of the gift was that the YWCA had to keep the house for 20 years. It was used. In 1977 the house sold for $650,000. The money was used to help finance YWCA programs.
Mrs Baynes died in 1967. She had been living in the Arbutus Private Hosital.