Affichage de 264 résultats

fichier d'autorité

McNeil, Rose

  • RM01
  • Personne
  • April 9, 1884 - June 3, 1970

Born Rose Emma Wotruba.

In 1907, Rose pre-empted a homestead on the Cheekeye River with husband, J.B. Tatlow and children Clarence (Hank) and Agnes (would be Mrs Alex MacDonald).

In 1915, Rose divorced J.B. Tatolow and married Bert McNeil. They moved to 2nd Avenue.

Rose lived in Britannia for several years around 1921, including the time of the flood. She returned to Squamish after. Rose died on June 3, 1970 at age 86.

Schoonover, Elvira

  • ES01
  • Personne
  • January 7, 1877 - April 15, 1958

Born in New York City, Elvira Bump's family moved to Pennsylvannia where she met and married Charles Sherman Schoonover (1897). In 1898 they homesteaded in North Dakota and later pre-empted in Upper Squamish in October 1905.

Elvira and Charles Schoonover had two daughters, Mary and Mildred. Mary stayed with her grandparents in Pennsylvannia while Mildred moved to Squamish with them. In 1905 their son Robert was born in Squamish and delivered by an Indian woman. In 1908 the Schoonovers moved to Brackendale. Elvira's daughter Mary moved to Squamish in 1914 and later became Mrs Bruce Wright.

In 1932, the Schoonovers moved to a log cabin north of the Brackendale store. Elvira died in 1958 in Victoria, BC; her husband in 1950 at age 76.

Brennan, Patrick Joseph

  • PB01
  • Personne
  • August 29, 1918 - February 8, 1979

Pat was the first child born in Woodfibre on August 29, 1918. Pat's father Edward was manager of the mill for Whalen Pulp and Paper Co. He was one of 9 children, the others being: Edward, Jane, Alice, Ruth, Bob, Kirk, Billie, and Colleen.

Pat worked during the boom in Woodfibre and logged at Alta Lake, Powell River, and Lac La Hache. From 1939 to 1945, he served in the U.S. Navy in the Second World War.

In 1946 he returned to Squamish and in July 1949 he married Tess Martin in St Joseph's Church. Father Gallo conducted the ceremony. They lived at the end of Judd Road on land that the Judds originally pre-empted.

In 1951, Pat and his partner John Drenka incorporated Squamish Mills Co. He also spear-headed the fight against Empire Mills' Tree Farm License. In 1956 he became the president of Squamish Mills.

In the 1960's Pat Brennan acquired a 56 acre site where Overwaitea, the medical clinic, and senior citizens home now stands as development land for Squamish.

Brennan died at age 60. He was survived by his wife Tess and children John Patrick, Kathleen Anne, Susan Alice, and Elizabeth Jane. Izzy Boscariol acted as mayor until the elections in November.

Brennan Park was dedicated on May 6, 1979.

In 1980, a public safety building was built. Its creation was largely due to Mayor Brennan.

Brightbill, Harry

  • HB01
  • Personne
  • 1891 - September 24, 1976

In 1911, Harry Brightbill came to Squamish to work for Norton and McKinnon, a logging company operating at Cheekeye. In 1913 he worked as a brakeman on the Howe Sound and Pemberton Valley Northern Railway.

In the 1920's, Harry married Kamloops-born Jean Greatrix. They had 3 daughters, Alma (Mrs A.H. Cunningham), Katherine (Mrs W.A. Johnson), and Harriet.

His wife died at age 66 on June 9, 1965. Harry died on September 24, 1976 shortly after receiving an award for the best garden in Squamish Valley.

Thorne, Fred Clayton

  • FT01
  • Personne
  • March 11 1862 - June 12, 1948

Fred was born in Hillies, Prince Edward Ontario in 1862 to Sam Thorn and ? Chamberlain (mother). He was the descendent of the United Empire Loyalists who left the U.S.A. after the War of Independence.

In 1881 he filed a homestead in Manitoba. He later returned to his home town and married Cora Emma Terry. In April 1894, He came to Squamish to become manager of clearing and building operations at the Squamish Valley Hope Company.

He and Cora had five children, in order of age: Clifford, Edna, Ella, Doris, and Harold.

In 1914 he started raising short horn cattle at the Squamish Valley Hop Company Ranch. Due to prohibition in the 1920's, hop farming stopped and he rented the farm from its owners and farmed for 10 years.

His wife Cora died in 1946. He then lived with his son until his death at 7:15pm on Saturday 12, 1948.

Stathers, Eric

  • ES02
  • Personne

Eric Stathers is a long time resident of Squamish and father of Jack Stathers, a stalwart member and past commodore at the Squamish Yacht Club.

Buckley, Francis Richard (Frank)

  • FB01
  • Personne
  • 1884 -

Frank Buckley was born in 1884 in County Cork, Ireland. He came to Squamish in 1903 to construct the Empire Mills building which he would later own. He left Squamish when the construction was complete.

In December 1907, he returned to Squamish on the S.S. Britannia. He had planned to go on to Pemberton but there was too much snow to travel.

He worked for the Squamish Timber Co. at Cheekye in 1908. He left the Logging Camp in May of 1908 and snowshoed to Pemberton. He then worked at Dominion Salmon Hatchery at Owl Creek near Pemberton.

In 1912 when the PGE railway was being built, he moved back to Squamish and set up a transfer business. He took goods from the wharf to the station. He stayed at his sister Mrs Jack Roayne's farm.

He was the first Imperial Oil Agent in the Squamish Valley.

In 1913 he lost his horses when they were frightened by a boat's whistle and jumped off the wharf to drown.

On October 11, 1914, Frank married Doris Galbraith. They were the first couple married in Squamish. The ceremony was conducted by Reverend Hoyle in St. John the Divine Church (Anglican). The bridesmaid was Mrs J. Hellinger. Their first son David Franklin was born on October 24, 1915. They lived in a house in the later location of the Overwaitea.

He started to work for the PGE in 1916 and quickly worked his way to locomotive engineer. He was the third locomotive engineer to work for the PGE.

His son Brian Buckley was born in Vancouver on October 20, 1930. He and Doris later had a third son, Kenneth (Mike). David Franklin (first son) died in Squamish on August 30, 1932.

The Buckley's moved to a home near Buckley's crossing in 1938. His son Kenneth died in World War II.

Frank retired from the railway after 35 years in 1949. His son Brian married May Franson in 1950. His son's wife, May, died on August 18, 1977. Frank's wife died on January 7, 1978.

Edwards, Jim

  • JE01
  • Personne

Jim was born to William and Mary (nee Tompkins) Edwards.

He arrived in Squamish in 1894 on the Saturna. He brought lumber up for Henry Judd's new home. Judd was about to marry Jim's sister, Barbara Anne.

Harry Judd married Barbara Anne Edwards in Vancouver on December 26, 1894. Later in 1904, Jim married Rilla Judd (Harry's sister). This was the first white marriage in the Squamish Valley and took at the bride's home. The bridesmaid was Martha Wright (daughter of school teacher John Wright). The best man was Wilby Judd (Rilla's brother). They had 3 daughters, in order of age: Ethel, Edith, and Nina (changed her name to Merna when she was about 30).

Jim's brother, Jack, came to Squamish in 1908 with his wife. They had come from Manitionlin Island, Ontario. His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Hawkins.

Webster, Edith

  • EJ02
  • Personne
  • June 39, 1900 -

Edith was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd. She was married to Geroge Webster. he had come to the Judd's house to find work. He and 3 other young men made an excellent Barbershop Quartet. George was Olive Judd's husband's uncle.

They had 4 daughters: Joyce (Mrs Smith) in 1926, Elaine in 1928, Judy (Mrs Silva) in 1930, and Jnet (Mrs Odenheimer) in 1932. Elaine died in 1949.

Herndl, Myrtle

  • MJ01
  • Personne
  • August 7, 1906 -

Born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

Myrtle married Mr Hendl. Their son Wilfred was born around 1928.

She lived at Edith Lake.

Mills, Hugh Henry

  • HM01
  • Personne
  • 1886 - November 23, 1951

Hugh came to Squamish in 1891 to build barns for George Magee. He also built the Newport Hotel and several other houses.

He married Catherine (Kate) Rae in 1912 after her husband died. He built a house on the 1984 site of Norm Halvorson's land.

He died at age 85 on November 23, 1951.

The Newport Hotel burned down in 1956. It would later be replaced by the current Chieftain Hotel.

Rae, Lawrence Johnson

  • LR01
  • Personne
  • 1900 - February 8, 1961

Lawrence Johnson was born in Squamish to Kate and Allen Rae. He married Violet Jane Smith on September 19, 1921. Violet died on July 28, 1924. Lawrence died in Quesnel at age 61.

Rae, Maurice

  • MR01
  • Personne
  • 1896 - October 18, 1951

Maurice was born to Allen and Kate Rae. He fought in World War I in 1918. He later worked for a transfer unit, on the culvert gang at the PGE, and as a gas mechanic for PGE.

Maurice married Hilda Magee in 1940. They had oen child, Margaretta Rae.

It was rumoured that when he drove a taxi in Squamish, he didn't have a driver's license. Maurice lived in Squamish his whole life.

Rae, Oswald (Ozzie)

  • OR01
  • Personne
  • 188? - ~1920

Oswald was born prior to 1888 as the oldest child of Allen and Kate Rae. He came to Squamish with his parents in February 1889.

Oswald married Doris Thorne around 1916. They had 4 children: Marjorie, Catherine, Irene (died) and Allan. He died in his early 30's.

Rae, Robert Stewart (Bert)

  • RR01
  • Personne
  • 1893 - April 14, 1978

Bert was born in 1893 to Allen and Kate Rae.

In 1913, he worked as a faller for Laviolette, McIntyre, and Levesque ("The French Boys"). In 1926, he was a hooktender at Craig and Taylor logging operation in Cheekye. He was also a trapper on Round Mountain.

Robert married Jessie Judd on December 27, 1927. They had three children: Stewart James (Jimmy) on June 5, 1929; Catherine Anne (Anne, to be Mrs D.W. Davison) on September 15, 1933;, and Harry Stewart on January 27, 1935.

Bert worked at Woodfibre. Jane started working at Woodfibre as well in December 1943. Bert left his work at Woodfibre in 1950.

Bert got in a car accident at the entrance to Squamish in 1977. He died of complications from the car accident at age 86 on April 14, 1978. Harry died in 1981.

Robertson, A.

  • AR01
  • Personne

Mr and Mrs Robertson were the first white settlers in the Squamish Valley. They came from Manitoba to homestead on the banks of the Mamquam River. The area where they lived is in the current location of the industrial park.

In February 1889, their daughter Catherine and her husband Allen Rae came to Squamish. They had another daughter, Minerva, who would often visit her sister in Squamish.

Rose, Alice

  • AC01
  • Personne

Alice was married to Charles Rose. Charles worked at the Squamish Valley Hop Co. hop ranch. Alice was the ranch cook. Charles built a log house alongside the slough by the hop ranch. In 1898 Charles became manager of the hop ranch.

In 1893, Alice became the first white woman to visit the lake that became her namesake (Alice Lake).

Eadie, James Stafford

  • JE01
  • Personne
  • December 16, 1885 - December 31, 1983

James was born in Glen Mavis, Midlothian, Scotland. He grew up in Scotland with 8 brothers and 1 sister. On March 26, 1910, he left Bathgate, Scotland and boarded the "Cassandria". He arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia on April 7, 1910. On April 13, 1910, he arrived in Vancouver by train. He worked in the coal mines in Nanaimo.

On December 28, 1916, he married Janet (born in Glasgow on August 19, 1894) at the Nanaimo Methodist Church. They had 3 children: Fred, James, and Mrs Marion Bochon.

In 1917, James came to Squamish to work for the PGE. He started as a "wiper", cleaning engines. He also worked as a fireman. He retired from the railway in 1952 after being an engineer for 35 years.

He built a home at 37789 Cleveland Avenue. His son Fred died.

On May 20, 1977, he took part in inaugural run celebrations for the Royal Hudson with Mayor Pat Brennan and Honourable Grace McCarthy.

His wife Janet died in June 1981. He died during one of his trips to Prince George to visit his son James and his sixth great grandchild in December 1983.

Mackenzie, Roderick

  • RM02
  • Personne
  • January 5, 1868 - April 29, 1957

Roderick Mackenzie was born in Scotland. He was the son of Murdo Mackenzie.

Around 1899, he served with the Highland Regiment in South Africa during the Boer War. He was a close friend of Indian leader, Mahatma Ghandi. He sold goods by ox-cart in anti-British sectors of South Africa.

Roderick married Elizabeth Maclagan and settled in North America in 1908. In 1912, he came to the "boom town" of Squamish and bought a lot on Cleveland Avenue (in the later location of the IGA parking lot) for $2000. On this land he established a men's clothing store in partnership with Bob Fraser. This was the first of his department store chain. When the land boom ended, he purchased the adjoining lot for $50. The store completely burned down in 1917. Roderick purchased the building across the street and started to rebuild on the old store's site.

In 1918, Roderick opened a store in Williams Lake. He would later live in Williams Lake for many years becoming a charter member of the Board Trade, a prominent member of the Masonic Lodge and chairman of the War Memorial Hospital there.

Roderick later bought out Lake's store (located where the IGA would later be) that sold groceries and clothing. He returned to his rebuilt store when the man who owned the Lake's property raised the rent. He added a lean-to to the old store in order to include a grocery department. He later returned to the site of the Lake's store as the owner.

In 1921, his business in Williams Lake burned down. It was later rebuilt.

In 1928, he represented the Cariboo in the Provincial Legislature from 1928 to 1932. He became known as the "Laird of the Cariboo".

His store opened in Wells in the 1930's. During the floods in Squamish, Mackenzies' always provided supplies of ready to eat foods for the town's flood victims. He helped the war effort in 1944 by producing carloads of hogs for export. His ranch was the old Squamish Valley Hop Company ranch.

The Wells store closed in 1951 and Roderick added fifty feet to the store on Cleveland Avenue.

In 1954, Roderick's son, Alistair, took over the Squamish store.

Roderick's wife died in March 1957. Roderick died at 89 years of age on April 29, 1957.

The Mackenzies Shopping Center closed on March 16, 1966. It had been run by Roderick's son, Alistair. The store was later replaced by the IGA.

Résultats 126 à 150 sur 264