Showing 262 results

Authority record

Mashiter, William

  • WM01
  • Person
  • June 1, 1850 - January 11, 1938

William Mashiter was born in Woodford County, Cheshire, England and brought up as a farmer. His father was the first Vicar of Woodford.

He left England in May 1870. in 1874 he arrived in Victoria after first travelling to California. He worked in canneries along the Skeena River and took part in the Cassiar Gold Rush. He came to Vancouver via the Lillooet-Squamish tarail and canoed down Howe Sound. He also operated a logging camp on the Fraser River for one and a half years.

William arrived in Granville (now Gastown) in November 1884. He opened a general store in Granville on Water Street. The store burned in the "great fire" on June 13, 1886. By June 16, 1886, he had already rebuilt the store.

Between 1889 to 1890, he rode a sleigh on Marine Drive. He was one of teh two survivors when a tree fell on the sleigh. Four people died.

In 1890, William came up to Squamish and took over the Magee farm. In 1891 he built a store and post office at the foot of Winnipeg Street (present site of the Shell Bulk Plant). It was the only store until 1905. The store had a small dock, "Mashiter's Landing" that was serviced twice weekly by the S.S. Defiance and Saturna. He was the post master until 1903.

William also ran a boat service across the channel to where the Pentecostal Church now stands.

He married Elizabeth Atkinson (from Cumberland, England) in Vancouver on May 21, 1894. In 1902, he sold his business to David Galbraith and went to England for the summer with his wife. During his absence, William Brohm built "Mashiter House". It was a landmark until it was torn down in 1964 to clear the way for Overwaitea (later the location of Fields).

In 1909, school was held in the Mashiter's old store house. In 1915 he donated land and grounds for the first proper school in Squamish (Mashiter School). He remained an official of the School Board for several years.

In September 1925, Mrs Mashiter died at age 78 and was buried in Brackendale. She had been the first president of the Ladies Guild for the Anglican Church.

In the 1930's, he lost most of his property to taxes in the depression. He continued to farm hay until his death.

Memorials: Mashiter Creek, Mashiter School, altar windows and brass plaque in St. John's (memorial to Mrs Mashiter), and a Carved Oak Lecturn (memorial to Mr Mashiter).

Rae, Wilfred (Whiff)

  • WR01
  • Person
  • 1891 - October 29, 1968

Wilfred was born in Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He married and spent most of his life in the Cariboo.

Wilfred died in Squamish at age 77 on October 29, 1968.

Shannon, William

  • WS01
  • Person
  • February 19, 1841 - February 2, 1928

William was born in Sligo County, Ireland to Peter and Catherine (Lytle) Shannon. Around 1845, the family moved to Lindsay, Ontario and began farming. William went to public school in Lindsay and wanted to become a farmer.

In May 1862, he arrived in California by the Panama route. In 1963, he arrived in New Westminster, BC after working his way up the coast. He became a partner to his brother, Thomas, in a road contracting business. They built Mary Street in New Westminster.

In 1864, he and William Parson bought land on the North side of Lulu Island. He started the first trading post in the south end of the Okanagan country and Kootenay in 1865. In 1866, he took charge of a small party, who started from Big Bend mines on the Columbia River, in order to explore the country. He sold out his partnership.

From 1866 to 1869, he mined at Big Bend, Columbia River, Goldstream, McUllis, French Creek, and Camp Creek. He helped to improve the method of saving fine gold.

In 1868, he began stock raising and farming with his brother Thomas David in Chiliwack. The Shannon family was the first to import Ayreshire cattle from Scotland to BC and introduced purebred Berkshire pigs and Clydesdale horses. Thomas David was the first man to bring New Hampshire chickens to BC.

In 1869, he began fur trading in various areas. He then became interested in cattle ranching in 1870. William drove the first large freight wagon to the Cariboo Mines, Williams Creek, and Barkerville in 1871.

In 1873, he helped form the first municipality on the mainland at Chilliwack, serving as a member of the council. In 1874, he helped the government compose and draft the first municipal act in BC for Chilliwack. Subsequently, he served as a member of the first council.

William was involved in the lumber business from 1876 to 1881. In 1881, he built a farm on the east side of Granville (south of 57th).

He married Eliza Jane McIndoo in 1886. In 1887, he settled in Vancouver and became a real estate broker. His first partner was J.Z. Hall.

His son William Lloyd was born on October 23, 1887. He visited the Squamish Valley in 1888 and declared it to be "fertile and good for settlers". He bought a lot of land in the Valley including the area of Shannon Falls and Darrell Bay.

In September 1888, he formed a partnership with Charles McLachlan in Real estate and insurance as financial agents. The Squamish Valley Hope Raising Co. Ranch was formed in 1891 and he became President.

In July 1894, the Foreman of roads in South Vancouver (J. McRorie) was murdered on Shannon's Place.

In 1899, he wrote "British Columbia and its Resources" and served on the first Grand Jury held in Vancouver.

In 1906, thirty Fraser Valley farmers followed Shannon to farms on Graham Island in the Queen Charlottes. In 1907, William joined George Martin in the firm of Martin and Shannon, owners of land on Sea Island and Potlatch Creek.

William sold 300 acres of land to Mr Sullivan of Surrey for $16,000 on August 2, 1909. He also sold a 40 acre farm to Jonathan Rogers of Rogers Building for $50,000 in cash in 1928.

His son William died on December 26, 1922. William Shannon died on on February 2, 1928 and was buried in Internment Ocean View Burial Park. His wife died at age 77 on June 16, 1932.

Memorials: Shannon Falls, Shannon Park (property part of old Shannon farm. Owned jointly by Park and School Board), and Shannon Road.

Galbraith, David

  • Person
  • March 16, 1861

David Galbraith was born in St. Mary's, Ontario (1858). He married Laurie Green (born in 1868) and arrived in Gastown on December 1884. Their first daughter Doris was born in Agassiz on September 5, 1895. In 1896 they moved to Harrison River. He built a store and boarding house.

His second daughter, Jean, was born at Harrison Mills in 1897. In 1901 he sold the store and boarding house to Mr Kilby.

In 1902, he came to Squamish to build the first hotel. He bought a store from Mashiter. The family arrived in Squamish in 1906. That year he also built the Cheakamus House, a hunter's lodge by the Cheakumus River (across from the present location of Fergie's), with Dutch Charlie ("Cheakamus Charlie") who operated it. His third daughter, Isobel (Widge) was born in this hotel (she would be Mrs Stan Blake). The Cheakamus House was destroyed by a flood in 1940.

In 1912, he built a store called Squamish Interiors (north of Shell Station) that would later be the Adams & Adams store.

Doris married Frank Buckley on October 11, 1914. They were the first couple married in a church in Squamish.

Mrs Galbraith died in March 1944. There was a memorial of Brass Vases and Collection Plate in the Anglican Church.

Jean (Mrs Angus McRae) won the Good Citizenship Medal in 1950 for her work as a nurse. The same year the Galbraith Hotel was sold to Empire Mills for $14,000 and used as a bunkhouse. The hotel was used to film the movie "Presbyterian Church Wager". In the early 1970's, the hotel was used to film the movie "McCade and Mrs Miller". It was demolished in 1973.

David died at age 89 on February 26, 1951. Jean's husband died in 1964. Jean Galbraith McRae died in Burnaby on January 25, 1976. Doris Galbraith Buckley died on January 7, 1978.

Results 251 to 262 of 262